Monday, January 19, 2009

Blast from the past...

When I was in Jr High School, there was a "must read" book called, "Are you there, God? It's me, Margaret." It's primary focus was dealing with the changes in an adolescent girl. In my world, it really was a "must read." EVERY teen girl had read that book. Anyway, I digress. For some reason, this book title made me think of a title for a layout about Miss C. I want to call it, "Are you there, God? It's me, the mother of a teenager."

I need to know how to survive the next year and a half. I wasn't 18 until April of my Senior year. My best friend wasn't 18 until the second month of college. My dear teen will be 18 years old one month after the beginning of her senior year of high school. How does the mother of a teen manage that? One week she wants to quit golf. The next week she wants to transfer to the other district high school after the golf season. The next week, she wants to graduate early. Truth is, she can do whatever she darn well pleases at that point. In all honesty, I want my mom. I need her guidance. I need her wisdom. She figured out how to deal with my independent nature. God knows how she put up with me. So, here I am... the mother of a teenage daughter without my mom to tell me what to do. [sigh]

Johanna, on the other hand, is still easy. Today was a holiday from school, so she had a friend over for a sleep-over last night. She and Payton had a great time! They had fun until about 11:30 PM, slept in, had pancakes for breakfast, and then we all went to a movie and lunch. We went to see Bedtime Stories. It was really cute. Lunch was a blast. We have another date for a sleep-over for President's Day next month.

No comments: