Thursday, January 1, 2009

Traditions

In my mid twenties, I was a nanny for a VERY wealthy family. They had three homes, a private jet, and two nannies... one for each child. The mom taught me a Jewish tradition for good luck. On New Year's day, if you eat lox it is supposed to bring you good luck in the new year. They served them with capers, red onions, and bagel slices. Delicious!! My heritage is German. Our "good luck" food for New Year's is saurkraut. Needless to say... I prefer the lox. When Tim and I met, we adopted this tradition and have been eating lox on New Year's for almost 20 years. We LOVE it, but it's the only day of the year we eat it -- which is what makes it stay special for us. Someone asked me if, perhaps, it didn't work on the years I had luck that wasn't so great. I answered, "If I hadn't eaten the lox on New Year's, it would have been a LOT worse!" LOL Mind you, I do not believe in "luck," but it's a GREAT excuse to have this amazing treat once a year. :-) Not a formal presentation by any means, but here is a picture of our New Year's morning FEAST:


I found this really cool video online today. It is a year passing (in one spot) in 40 seconds. Take a look.

http://vimeo.com/2639782

This afternoon, Tim and I have a "date" with USC (for the Rose Bowl) and the UC Bearcats for the Orange Bowl. This game is HUGE, because the Bearcats have never, EVER been to a bowl game! After they won the finals, the people in the stands threw oranges and flooded the field. It was GREAT!! Wish us "LUCK!" :-)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Karen, that is so interesting about the lox and good luck in the New Year. Have not heard that before, but have heard about the sauerkraut. My family always had Pork on New Years for good luck. We too were sad about the Bear Cats losing in the Orange Bowl, but at least they got there.
I wish you and Tim and your sweet daughters a wonderful New Year.